Strawberries always taste better when they're fresh off the vine!
That's why, after picking up some of the most delicious strawberries that we’ve ever tasted at the Northport Farmer’s Market this past Saturday, we decided we needed to head out east to pick some of our very own before the season ended!
We quickly did our research and found a few farms that still had strawberries available for picking - Glover Farms, Sound Shore Farm, Wickham’s Fruit Farm, and Lewin Farms.
With a drive of only an hour (luckily there was no traffic), we found ourselves at Lewin Farms bright and early.
Lewin Farms is a fourth generation family farm. They were the first pick your own farm on Long Island and continue that long tradition with a wide variety of u-pick fields available to visitors throughout the spring, summer, and fall.
We were pleased to find that the berries were still abundant; and we were told by the staff at Lewin Farms that it has been a great season for strawberries!
Hopefully you’ll get a chance to make it out there before they’re all gone. If not, raspberries and blueberries will be available very soon! Later this summer you’ll find blackberries and peaches too.
Pack the family into the car, head out to the North Fork, and harvest some of your own fruit! It's great to support local farmers and forge a deeper connection with the source of your food! Plus it's fun and makes for excellent summer memories!
Click any image below for a larger view:
View this post on Instagram
Strawberry picking open today. Good day to come because Thursday looks like rain right now. Open 9- 4:30pm #lewinfarms #strawberrypicking #eastendlongisland #pickyourown #upick #upickstrawberries #strawberryfestival #northfork #nofo #wadingriver #calverton #longisland #suffolkcounty #grownonlongisland
Lewin Farms: Pick Your Own Schedule
Weather and yearly crop conditions effect times. Location of fields change year to year on most non orchard crops. Additional instructions are posted at the farm stand at 812 Sound Avenue, Calverton NY 11933. U-Pick fields generally open from 9am to 4:30pm, except when otherwise noted due to limited quantities or weather conditions. Please call (631)-929-4327 to confirm daily schedule.
**Sorry, no pets allowed in U-Pick fields or store for health and safety reasons**
All U-Pick fields are "Pick at Your Own Risk."
- Strawberries : In season, likely to near end of June, call day of for specific days
- Raspberries: Late June through early September... (starting Wednesday 6/26) call each day, not open everyday - there may be a few early red currants and gooseberries too in last 3 rows
- Blueberries : Late June - mid August - Starts 6/26 , call for all other days
- Blackberries : mid/Late July - Late August
- Peaches : Mid July - Mid September
- Tomatoes : Late August - Late October
- Peppers : Late August - Late October
- Eggplant : Late August - Late October
- Apples : Late Aug/September - October
- Pumpkins/Gourds : Late September - Late October
What: Lewin Farms
Where: 812 Sound Avenue, Calverton, NY 11933
Photos and writing by Sophie Frisina.